Friday, June 6, 2008

New Adventure...or just crazy????

So, I live in Kalomo district, which is 60 km from Choma where the Peace Corps provincial house is located. I took my bike mainly because I didn't have any place I could leave it while I was in Choma. So, when it was time to go back, I get the bright idea to ride back. BIG MISTAKE!!!! I rode for 3 hours until my body just wouldn't ride anymore. I don't know what possessed me to think I could ride that distance. It was unreal. I finally gave up and hitched a ride on the back of a flatbed truck. (Don't worry...hitching is normal in Zambia.) The moral of the story: Think before you take a bike 60 kilometers and try to ride it back!!!!!

Last week was tough for me. I get frustrated that I'm not speaking the language properly. It doesn't help that "the old lady" that I live with (that is what she is called by everyone...I would never use this term normally) constantly tells everyone visiting in Tonga "Chitonga is a problem for this one...ba Jalle spoke Tonga fluently". She says this every single day, every time I'm around. I'm really trying to brush it off, but I really can only take so much.

Well, wish me luck and keep me in your prayers!!!! Love ya,

Kim

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't worry Kim it'll come to you just do your best, have fun and please don't try and ride your bike that long again...trust I know the feeling!

Love ya,
Melonie